Skip to main content

Things my kids do when I'm hungover

You can pretty much guarantee that if I dare to go out and party, come home late and wake up with a dire hangover the next day, this is what will happen:

1.  The baby will wake up at 3am and 5am for no apparent reason. Then she'll be raring to go from 6am, demanding to be fed and entertained. She will also choose that day to decide to learn how to go up and down stairs - again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...
2. If I've managed to negotiate a lie-in the older girls will come in to the bedroom umpteen times, bellow in my ear to wake me up and ask really essential stuff like: "What time is it?", "Where's Daddy?", "Is the Earth really round?" and "Do you think I should wear the pink or the green t-shirt?" Sigh.
3. All three kids will choose to be absolutely hideous, bursting into tears at every available opportunity, arguing about everything possible, moaning about the lack of nice food (i.e. sweets) in the house and telling me I'm the worst mummy in the world.
4. There will be some essential piece of homework that I foolishly neglected to sort out prior to my hangover. The girls will go absolutely ballistic and point blank refuse to do anything that doesn't involve the word 'fun', leading to everyone in the house having a major tantrum. My tantrum will be the most spectacular of all.
5. Worst of all, Alpha will give me absolutely no sympathy for my physical and mental pain but will merely smile smugly and say: "Well, you shouldn't go out if you can't cope the next day, should you?

So, is it worth it? Well, sometimes...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love it. You know it's bad when not even a mcd takes the edge off....
Definitely worth it for your mental health though.
Anonymous said…
oh dear! that'll be the strawberry mohito's then!!!
Anonymous said…
Just stay drunk, dear!
Louise said…
This is where we miss the playbarns in the UK - they run around until they are completely exhausted and you sit with a hangover-cure breakfast, two nurofen and a book. Used to work every time for me!

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...