Skip to main content

Exhaustion - Countdown 9 Days

Sorry to have disappeared during the Holiday melee.

This week was especially exhausting getting ready for Party 2: The Rabbit's 5th Birthday affectionately known as The Event.

We actually navigated The Event fairly well, thanks in no small part to a magician, an amazing magician called Magical Dave, who kept the 20 children focused and glued for 60 minutes. Also,a drop-off party didn't hurt. I love having parties with adults. But I have decided in the future that for The Rabbit's birthday this is the way to go.

I think you need to have a birthday for children....or for adults. And I think the two put together are...a Holiday Party, which is why we had that the weekend before. Truthfully, I think parents loved dropping their children off for 2 1/2 hours and having some time solo. I think in a way I performed a good deed -- some alone time during the holidays on the weekend? That spells massage, cappuccino and a nap all to me.

The Rabbit had a wonderful time. Her friends are truly wonderful. I mean that sincerely. I am sure there are horrific 5 year olds out there. There's not a bunch in her group of friends. Truly.

However....

Next year I'm handing her 5 big bills and sending her to American Girl. Alone. And I'm walking down the street and getting the massage at Elizabeth Arden. More likely we'll happily see me do a repeat of this year again. But I really need to remember to book the Sunday after as a solo day for Mama. Really. Me, a manicurist at my hands, a pedicurist at my feet, and a barista pouring soothing mochas all afternoon. Holiday Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...