Skip to main content

Some Clarification

It's come up -- and we at Mothers feel we must clarify -- that whenever we write in our posts about a product, or list them on our Hot/Not side column, we have not taken money, freebies, or even a compliment from the brand that we mention.

Now, yes, you can ask: Since you are a grouchy pair of Mamas, why would anyone want to pay you to write about their shoes/polish/handbags anyway? Well, we agree. We don't understand either except to say that you, our readers, are clearly Mothers with enough of a cool edge that people want you to hear about their goodies.

If we ever decide to run a true, honest, advertisement, we promise to make that a clearly marked item. We might even put it in a box that says: "Look Here! Someone has paid us money to run this ad here about this product and we don't know NADA about it so read at your own risk!!" Or something like that.

But you can be assured, when we write that Crocs are truly unattractive, and that we'd rather be caught in a henna rinse then in skinny jeans, no on has paid us to say that. And it will stay that way. Promise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yeah, crocs are butt ugly, but they are oh-so-comfy. I am at the age that my feet go for comfort rather than sexiness or fashion.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...