Skip to main content

A Missive From Rome

From Yummy London Mummy:

Alpha, the mini-yummies and I have been in Rome for the past five days, an attempt to unwind after two months of deadline hell and to escape the builders who are currently trashing Casa Yummy in pursuit of completing our long-awaited kitchen extension.

I could wax lyrical for hours about the beauties we have seen, the annoyances of travelling with small (and often bored) children, the tedium of queuing for hours at various airports... But here is a synopsis - an overview of Rome, as seen by Firstborn and the Small(er) One:

Most favoured insult (Firstborn): “La fruitcake!“ (Said in a French accent and bellowed, we're uncertain as to its source)

Most favoured insult (Small(er) One): “You smell of wee!“

Happiest moments: In the lollypop shop/ eating ice-cream / eating pizza/ lobbing coins into the Trevi fountain

Pure happiness: Firstborn's first tooth coming out, followed by a visit from the Italian tooth fairy
Utter misery: Trailing behind Mummy shopping

Terrible misery: Going into yet another church (“Church is boring! Don't wanna go to church!")

Naughtiest moment (Firstborn): Punching Alpha in the willy... on purpose

Naughtiest moment (Small(er) One): Too many to mention but what really rankled was refusing to go to sleep and then trying to wake Firstborn up by poking her in the eyes and up her nose... every night

Tantrums (Firstborn): 3,941

Tantrums (Small(er) One): 4,924

Sibling squabbles: 9,256

Sibling hugs: 9,821

Places of outstanding beauty ignored by all members of the Yummy Family aged five and under: too many to count

Miles walked: enough for Firstborn to bellow "My leg is about to fall off and then I'll die and it's all your fault!". Luckily the Small(er) One traveled by buggy.

We are now sitting in the airport waiting for our delayed flight to Geneva. Back in London on Saturday. I kind of can't wait...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...