Skip to main content

The big dilemma - how to discipline children without turning into Homer Simpson

From Yummy London Mummy:

The most sucky thing about being on holiday is that children go wild. Or at least, this appears to be the case with my children (no offense but hopefully yours do too, if so then I won't feel such a big fat parental failure).

The root of the problem seems to be the Small(er) One suddenly discovering the joys of insomnia. Which, oddly, seems to affect her very little in terms of energy and good cheer during the day (she's been bad-tempered as well but this is quite normal - she's a fiery small thing).

But the big problem is Firstborn, who, just like me, finds it hard to operate on three broken hours of sleep, and, just like me, it makes her grumpy, cranky and desperate to take offence at every small and/or imagined thing.

The squabbles and cat fights are driving me nuts. I had to pull them apart yesterday, two crazy bundles of rage, spitting and biting and flailing limbs - and all over which one got the pink plate.

In between the fights and name calling ("you're a poo poo" "you smell of wee" "you're la fruitcake" "you're a tomato" "No, YOU'RE a tomato" "you're not my friend" "you're not MY friend" etc) the normal mode is defiance.

Every request, even a reasonable one, is met with a "NO!", plus mutinous facial expression. All food is "yuck!" unless it is chocolate, ice-cream or plain pasta (a sprinkling of cheese is just about tolerated). The suggestion of bathtime is met with a dive under the table and a screamed refusal to come out. Holding hands in the street is tantamount to an especially vicious form of parentally-inflicted torture. Getting dressed is a minefield ("No! Not that dress! I want ! ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!").

All the usual parental fail-safes have failed - Time Out, the raised eyebrow, a stiff talking to, removal of treats and toys placed in the naughty box - all met with the same defiance ("Put me in time out then, I don't care" "Don't want treats anyway" "Don't like dolly, don't care if she stays in the naughty box forever!" "You smell of poo Mummy and you're the worsest, meanest Mummy in the whole wide world!" and "Not listening" with fingers in ears, etc.)

I even had to resort to a mild spanking. (Not a beating, I hasten to add, as such is the British nanny state I fear any confession of Laying A Hand On My Child, mild or otherwise, will have me spirited away to Bad Parent Camp for intensive classes in how to tolerate your child's bad behaviour, smile sweetly, sigh gently, excuse said bad behaviour with many lame excuses but fail to chastise in any shape or form- thus preparing for it to grow into a Veritable Menace To Society. Anyway, the spank took place on Italian soil where I believe common sense still prevails so I think I am legally in the clear). Whatever. The spank didn't work either.

I am at the end of my tether. Any suggestions gratefully received.

---

Comments

Anonymous said…
You think this is tough - give 10 years - they're bigger and brighter than you (that's what you wanted wasn't it?) and you will look on this as tame.

Think - 2 teenage girls, menapausal mother and mid-life crisis father - Hitchcock thriller.

Only solution - pass the buck - choose your boarding school NOW!!!
Anonymous said…
Lot of good boarding school does! Simply hanging out with oaf(ette)s with more "pocket" money and (even) more arrogance.

Care to wax on the prospects when spanking is completely outlawed. Does it mean that children will be prosecuted for hitting (or touching?) other children?
Anonymous said…
Please, I beg of you...put down the chocolate, close the computer and run out to Barnes & Noble and purchase a copy of The Blessing of The Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...