Skip to main content

Those Damned Disney Princesses

Tonight The Rabbit gagged and nearly choked on a damn princess jewel purchased at the "Princess store" in Fantasyland on a trip to Disneyland this summer.

Watching her gag on a blue rock the size of Elizabeth Taylor's cocktail ring caused me to shriek and terrorize her even further. Luckily the shriek followed her spitting it out. I think I was actually not breathing as I saw her smile, pop it in her mouth, eyes go a goggle, gag twice and then cough it out.

For the past year I have endulged her princess fetish. My sister sends her dress-up clothes that her eldest has outgrown-- full royal Disney attire for Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Belle and all the other female creatures that force me to constantly talk to her about how its "better to be strong and smart and nice than beautiful." Yeah, that sinks in while Snow White is twirping about...

We're off for the weekend for a wedding so at least there will be a four-day break from the crowns and gems. It's a good thing because I need to re-think all of this. I really believed I could handle this Disney stuff. I actually liked it. I really thought the rabbit could love being a princess now -- AND a strong, independent thinking woman later.

But now --- well it's making me, and clearly the rabbit, gag.

Comments

Kate B. said…
Bloody princesses. Don't talk to me about princesses. Makes me bring up hairballs.

Hopefully it is just a phase that little girls go through for a few years, to be replaced when they start to dress like hookers at the age of 12.

Popular posts from this blog

Apologies for being incommunicado this week and hope none of you out there are too distraught not to be receiving the usual almost-daily MotV missives. The reason for the silence is that I'm up to my neck, metaphorically-speaking, in research papers for my first grad course assessment. This experience has made me realise how rigorously un-academic I am in my thinking. It has also illuminated how reliant I am on red wine in order to get through endless evenings typing furiously on my laptop, not to mention the fueling of increasingly colorful curses that I feel obliged to aim at the University's online library system which consistently refuses to spit out any of the journals I'm desperate for (I refuse to believe this is 100% due to my technical incompetence...) Oh well, if this is the price one has to pay in order to realize a long-cherished dream then it's not all that bad... No one ever said a mid-life career change would be easy. Wish me luck!

A thought

Perhaps sometimes a gift can be delivered in the guise of a tragedy. It's just a matter of perception, after all. I suspect that the talent lies in looking beyond the surface to what lies beneath and beyond. And, of course, being able to make sense of it all and going on to apply that knowledge to building a productive way forward. Here's hoping.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

A friend recently emailed me to say that her big memory of her stay with us last year is that she had a great birthday, one of the few where she didn't 'act like a spoiled grumpy princess'. She tried to give me all the credit but as I explained to her, it was all down to having a fellow female organising the birthday fun rather than leaving it to her partner. Her email got me thinking about birthdays and how very different men and women are in their attitudes to celebrating special occasions. It also had me thinking about my birthday two years ago when I threw a major tantrum in the Carrefour car-park after being told that we were off to do the weekly shop, kids in tow, which was simply the final straw at the end of a very uninspiring day. In contrast, my birthday last year was rather lovely (a morning on my own in a spa with no mobile coverage, pure selfish bliss). This year - in a few short months, eek! - I'll be hitting the grand old age of 38. This will be my las...